Fullerton Heritage Banner

Dwella Apartments

The Dewella Apartments on Wilshire Avenue.

 

Golden Hammer Award

Golden Hammer Criteria

News & Events

Meet Fullerton’s Latest Local Landmarks

On June 8, 2016, the Fullerton Landmarks Commission unanimously recommended approval of Local Landmark status for the following properties. A final approval will be made by the Fullerton City Council, most likely in July.

RUSSELL HOUSE – 516 W. Amerige Avenue

Constructed in 1903, this beautifully preserved Colonial Revival residence was moved from its original location in the 100 block of West Commonwealth Avenue in 1923. At the time of the relocation, West Commonwealth, which was dotted with residences, was being converted into a commercial area, and the move mostly likely saved the home from demolition. The house is an excellent representative example of the type of domestic architecture that arrivals to the newly- formed city constructed on their farms and ranches. It remains one of the oldest surviving homes constructed within the Fullerton's original townsite, laid out by town founders Edward and George Amerige in 1887. The current owners, good stewards of the homes, have continued to maintain and restore the historic dwelling.

ARTHUR M. THOMPSON HOUSE – 617 W. Malvern Avenue

Constructed in 1928, this Tudor Revival dwelling was the personal residence of one of Fullerton's most important builders and home designers. An Illinois native, Thompson moved to Fullerton in 1920, and for the next fifteen years would construct a number of impressive businesses and residences in the city. Three of the homes he designed and built are listed as Fullerton Local Landmarks, and two of his other buildings – the Boys and Girls Library (the Red Cross Building) in Hillcrest Park and the Firestone Building (now Dripp Coffee) are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Thompson would work with a number of local movers and shakers, including Charles C. Chapman, Louis E. Plummer, Gilbert Kramer, etc. He was also the uncle of Hollywood movie star Dick Powell and constructed an award-winning home for the actor in Toluca Lake.

 

Russell House

Russell House

Thompson House

Thompson House

 

 

   

Restoration of Santa Fe Loading Dock is Completed

After a year’s effort, the loading dock at the Santa Fe Depot has been completely restored and ready to be used for some future endeavor. In the spring of 2015, Fullerton Heritage launched, with the Fullerton City Council’s approval, a campaign to have the roof of the loading dock repaired; having not been maintained for at least 25 years, the roof of the loading dock was seriously damaged by dry rot and termites.  With a community-based approach where individuals, businesses, and organizations offered their labor and donations for the restoration, the following work was successfully undertaken:

  • Replacing deteriorated shoring

  • Removing old roofing materials

  • Removing four deteriorated beams and bracing and replacing them with new lumber and connections

  • Fabricating and installing steel column bases and angles to reinforce the roof columns

  • Installing a new roof and flashing for proper drainage and plywood sheets for seismic reinforcing

  • Replacing the deteriorated roof drain pan, the cause of water leaks

  • Painting the entire structure

  • Installing pigeon deterrents to keep the floor clean

The completion of the restoration was officially recognized by the City Council in early May, 2016.
Photos show a before and after condition of a couple of the features of the loading dock

 

Before-Loading Dock East End

Before: Loading dock, east end

After: Loading dock, east end

After: Loading dock, east end

Before: Loading dock roof

Before: Loading dock roof

After: Loading dock roof

After: Loading Dock Roof

 

 

   

Future of Beckman Administration Building is Pending

The former Beckman Administration Building at 4300 N. Harbor Boulevard remains boarded up, waiting for the new property owner of this 45-acre site to propose a plan to develop the nearly-cleared parcel.  Over the last couple of years all of the structures on this property, except the iconic headquarters building of Beckman Instruments, have been demolished.  The Administration Building has been “saved” from destruction, because it had been identified as a potential Local Landmark by the city of Fullerton, which prevents its razing until and unless there is a public hearing and a vote by the City Council to allow for its demolition.  It now appears that the new property owner has decided to retain the building with its planning for the future development of the site, but no actual plan of development has yet been submitted to the city for its review and approval, so the fate of the Beckman Administration Building is pending.

In the meantime, Fullerton Heritage has submitted an application to have the Beckman Administration Building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The application is scheduled to be considered by the California State Historical Resources Commission in October, with that Commission’s recommendation sent to officials in Washington D.C. for a final determination.  If the building is ultimately listed on the National Register, it will allow the owner to take advantage of federal historic tax credits on those expenditures that are needed to rehabilitate the building for a future use – a substantial benefit.

Fullerton Heritage is also encouraging the new owner to give consent to having the building officially designated as a Local Landmark.  The building is a fine example of Mid-Century Modern architecture built in 1954, associated with a notable individual and a key business which greatly assisted in the successful development of the city after World War II.

Beckman Building

Beckman Building

 

 

 

 

 

Heritage Logo

Copyright 2009 by Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved. Page last updated June 12, 2016 .
About Fullerton Heritage This is the News & Events Page Resources Views & Tours Join Contact Real Estate Resources