Fullerton Heritage Banner

Architectural
Styles
in Fullerton

 

 

PWA/WPA Moderne

Also called Depression or Classical Moderne, PWA/WPA Moderne is a stripped down Steamline (Art) Moderne with a little Zigzag ornament added. PWA/WPA Moderne structures reflect a greater use of conservative and classical elements and have a distinct monumental feel to them. PWA/WPA Moderne buildings were completed during the Great Depression as part of various government relief projects sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The government created jobs for architects, designers, and builders by putting them to work, creating hundreds of government and civic buildings, including post offices, train stations, public schools, museums, bridges, and dams throughout the United States. In the private sector, the style was a favorite with bankers because it denoted a sense of authority.

Elements of this utilitarian style, which lasted until World War II, include:

  • Classical balanced and symmetrical form
  • Windows arranged as vertical recessed panels
  • Surfaces sheathed in smooth, flat stone or stucco

During the Depression years, the city of Fullerton requested and received more state and federal relief funds than any other city in Orange County. The result was a very large number of projects built under the auspices of the PWA/WPA programs. Following the 1933 earthquake, the Maple Street School (1936) at 224 E. Valencia Drive was reconstructed in the WPA Moderne style. That same year, a new Wilshire School and Auditorium at 315 E. Wilshire Avenue (now part of Fullerton College ) was also constructed in this style.

Read More about this Style:

  • Greif, Martin. Depression Modern: The Thirties Style in America. New York: Universe Books, 1975.
  • Prosser, Daniel. "The New Deal Builds: Government Architecture during the New Deal." Timeline vol. 9, no. 1 (1992): 40-54.
  • United States. Public Works Administration. America Builds: The Record of PWA. Washington, D.C.: PWA, 1939.

Maple School (1936)
224 E. Valencia Drive

Wilshire School (1936)
315 E. Wilshire Avenue  

Wilshire School Auditorium (1936)
315 E. Wilshire Avenue

Previous Page | Next Page | Return to Architectural Styles Home | Return to Resources

 
Heritage logo Copyright 2008 by Fullerton Heritage. All rights reserved. Page last updated: September 14, 2008  
About Fullerton Heritage News & Events Advocacy & Issues Go to the main Resources Page Contact Join Views & Tours Real Estate Resources